[SATLUG] Devuan

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 13:48:03 CST 2014

For LFS we use Debian as a resource although we don't use it as a base.
  It will be interesting if other distros like Ubuntu or Mint use this
new fork as a base.

There are a couple of interesting parallels.  The first one that comes
to mind is xfree86 vs Xorg.  Once Xorg became viable, xfre86 pretty much
went away.

Another project that created a fork was Trinity that attempted to
maintain KDE3 for some time after KDE4 came out.  That did not work very
well.

In this case, I hope it works out but I have my doubts.  With systems
like Gnome integrating systemd in such a way as to make it required, the
effort to maintain a non-systemd distribution that includes Gnome is
vastly increased.  (That said, does anyone really like the current Gnome?)

Overall, I do think systemd does provide some useful ideas, however, the
interdependencies of those capabilities (apparently on purpose) makes it
considerably more complex.

I also found this page interesting:

http://judecnelson.blogspot.com/2014/09/systemd-biggest-fallacies.html

   -- bruce