[SATLUG] LAMP Server Question #2

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Tue Oct 7 22:41:02 CDT 2014

I am working on a project that involves setting up a server for a
customer where they will need to access a database on an on-going basis
for various kinds of record-keeping, etc.  I have come to the conclusion
that a LAMP server will be the best solution for them (I won't bore you
with all the reasons why, but let's assume that is the way I will go).

This will be the first time I will undertake a project quite like this,
so I have a few specific questions where I would like some opinions,
especially the professionals out there who may have done jobs similar to
this for paying customers.

Since the questions deal with different topics, I will send them out
separately so as not to muddy the waters by mixing things together.

-->  QUESTION #2:

Does anyone have any experience with MariaDb (vs MySQL)?  I understand
the rationale why some people feel uncomfortable with Oracle's role in
MySQL's development/maintenance and what that may mean for the future
'openness' of MySQL, but it seems that MariaDb (especially as an
_organization_) doesn't have that long of a track record, so I'm not yet
entirely comfortable hanging my hat on that product.  Thoughts?

TIA

Al Lesmerises