[SATLUG] LAMP Server Question #1

Samuel Smith satlug at net153.net
Wed Oct 8 08:33:42 CDT 2014

I have been using debian stable on many machines since 2006. Never had
an issue that wasn't a simple fix. You can easily do a minimum net
install which will result in your root partition only using about 1GB of
space. From there you can install just the packages you need and nothing
else.

I never liked Ubuntu. At least in the 2007-2010 era when I had to
support a few machines running it, I never once had a successful upgrade
to the next version. This was never a case with any version of debian.

As far as the redhat derivatives (fedora,centos), I can't stand yum. It
is 10x slower than aptitude or apt-get. I never could get passed that...

Centos does have the one up on long term support. If you just want to
install something and put it in a closet for the next 5 years then
centos might be the way to go... Of course if you do indeed need to do
any development 3 years later, all your languages and libraries will be
horribly out of date and you'll be forced into upgrading anyway just so
you can get your new code to run.

So, debian it is :)

--Sam