[SATLUG] LAMP Server Question #3

Alex Bartonek bartonekdragracing at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 8 10:40:13 CDT 2014

Yep..true.  Just make sure you read and understand what the STIG does once its implemented.  Not all STIGs are good ones to implement as I have found out the hard way.

 Newer versions of Apache are more
 secure than the older ones.  There is a process called
 "STIGing" that is performed to make military owned Unix
 Systems baseline secure.  Google it and set that as a
 baseline.

 > Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 22:45:38 -0500
 > From: alesmerises at satx.rr.com
 > To: satlug at satlug.org
 > Subject: [SATLUG] LAMP Server Question #3
 >
 > I am working on a project that involves setting up a
 server for a
 > customer where they will need to access a database on
 an on-going basis
 > for various kinds of record-keeping, etc.  I have
 come to the conclusion
 > that a LAMP server will be the best solution for them
 (I won't bore you
 > with all the reasons why, but let's assume that is the
 way I will go).

 > This will be the first time I will undertake a project
 quite like this,
 > so I have a few specific questions where I would like
 some opinions,
 > especially the professionals out there who may have
 done jobs similar to
 > this for paying customers.
 >
 > Since the questions deal with different topics, I will
 send them out
 > separately so as not to muddy the waters by mixing
 things together.

 > -->  QUESTION #3:
 >
 > This server will be for the use of one particular
 organization and needs
 > to be secured against outside parties from 'snooping'
 or worse.  What
 > resources (web sites, etc.) would you recommend for
 setting-up and
 > securing an Apache server in this situation?
 Also, with all the
 > different packages or "projects" sponsored by Apache,
 which ones should
 > I make sure are included (and any configuration advice)
 when I install