[SATLUG] LAMP Server Question #4

Stewart Smith tuupes80 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 8 10:40:40 CDT 2014

Answering a question with a question, are you doing a transactional database?
If so, you need to remember that you have to code for rollback recovery of partially completed transactions.  HTML is stateless.
In high volume transactional databases you get into he problem of deadly embrace, two transactions each locking a different data element that the other needs.  You need to make sure this problem is treated.
Will you be updating more than one database in a transaction?  If so, you need to consider the problem of two phase commit.
Sadly, this points in the direction of transaction processors.  Tuxedo and JBoss or their open source equivalents.
Dreamweaver is the commercial standard in professional Web development, but there are open source alternatives.
Depending on the volume of the transactions, you might gain something from considering something other than the "P" in LAMP being PHP.  Python comes to mind.  Further, don't dismiss C, if the transactions are bogging down.
One final note.  If you are doing something like a catalogue order entry application, where there will be a great deal of graphic data served in addition to high transaction volume, you might want to consider offloading the graphic serving to another machine that does only that.
Sorry for the all over the place answer.  If these things get big, they can create some interesting problems.