[SATLUG] LAMP Server Question #1

Guy Heckman guy at gchconsult.com
Wed Oct 8 11:43:31 CDT 2014

There is no RIGHT answer, however there are several WRONG answers - this is treading into distro religious preferences so I’ll not go into that. Given the major Linux shops here in San Antonio (and Linux in Enterprise in general) the preference is for RedHat - that is mostly because large business (or government) are not all that comfortable running ‘unsupported’ (as in paid vendor support) O/Ses.

I’m in a government enterprise shop now and it is all RedHat, all the time.

At my previous job at Penn State’s Smeal College of Business, we ran Ubuntu Server (and yes there is paid vendor support available, though we did not purchase it) in both the PHP (LAMP) and Python/Zope/Plone shops. I was lead in the latter and we initially were on RedHat but moved to Ubuntu because our dependencies required newer versions of various apps/libs/etc. than were available in the official channels - which meant we had to either add in supplementary repos (like EPEL, etc.) or had to build from source - neither of which you want to have to replicate as the infrastructure grows without the provisioning and configuration management tools we have now. At the time Ubuntu provided the dependencies we needed out of box.

Since it sounds like you are new to Linux server and essentially tackling being a full stack dev, the best distro is one that meets your requirements with minimal heavy lifting so you can focus on the dev side of things.