[SATLUG] LAMP Server Question #4

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 09:53:15 CDT 2014

Guy Heckman wrote:
> I would stay away from any WYSIWYG web design package and I would
> argue that Dreamweaver is most definitely NOT the industry standard
> that  professional web developers use. Professionals use the text
> editor of their choice combined with a standards-based browser (not
> IE - though it has gotten much better) because why would you trust
> Adobe’s browser rendering when 99.999% of your users will not be
> using an Adobe browser. Basic flow is to build/design at the code
> level, test in Firefox/Chrome, fix in IE. If you have a captive
> audience (corporate intranet) and know what browser the company
> officially endorses and supports you can get away with building for a
> single browser but I still wouldn’t recommend it from a professional
> development stand point.

You should, of course, test a web page in a browser, but you don't have
to check every browser (even if that were possible).  The best way is to
check that the page does not have any errors at
http://validator.w3.org/.  Virtually all browsers handle standard html
properly.  It's when the html is not valid where the browser has to make
assumptions and different browsers make different assumptions for
invalid html.

Another issue that sometimes arises in even valid html is that if some
values of css, like page margins or padding, are not specified at all,
then they use different defaults.  Of course the best way around that is
to not rely on defaults.

Finally, if you use exotic fonts, then that can depend on what fonts the
user's system has installed.  It's usually OK because browsers seem to
use reasonable fallbacks.

   -- Bruce