[SATLUG] Alternatives to Raspberry Pi

Craig sargonemail at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 05:16:19 CDT 2014

In "Alternatives to Raspberry Pi",
 Frank Huddleston on Mon Aug 4 11:01:06 CDT 2014 wrote:

> Greetings,
>
>   I have heard on at least one occasion, perhaps at a SATLUG meeting,
> strong disapproval, to the point of vilification, of the Raspberry Pi. So
> I'm wondering: what's so bad about the Pi, and what better alternatives
are
> available?  And why are they better?
Pi is tied to the proprietary broadcom chip.  Broadcom chip distribution is
also
limited.

>   I'm speaking of low-power, cheap computers. Admittedly these are rather
> subjective terms, but I'll just leave it at that for now, in hopes that
> "you know what I mean".
>
> Thanks,
>
> Frank Huddleston

Well,

I did a bit of net-searching on the "pi alternatives" topic in order
to come up with the following categories/examples/links.
I tried to keep it short with meta-links & searchable examples.

Craig

=======================================

The original request was a bit open ended, so narrowed it down a bit
as follows:
--Most of the things listed here are under the $200 range (unless noted).
--Target market is the consumer (e.g mass market target).
  This excludes single boards targeted for industrial use
  along with pre-production developer boards.
--Power requirements are 10watts or less

I loosely grouped the "pi alternatives" for discussion into 2 categories,
hobbyist and ready-to-go.

I) Hobbyist style:
Roughly covers the following areas:
a) micro-computing
   --anything from solder/build it entirely from scratch to
     assemble the various electronic boards needed.
     Tends to be pick a cpu and build/assemble what you need
     either from scratch or using boards designed for specific
     cpu use.
     "cpu"'s : 8051, avr, intel, amd, mips, arm, marvel, freescale,
Allwinner
   -- provides access pins/ports for hobbyist to electronically
      experiment with, e.g. extend/add/design additional hardware

Example boards (non-pi format), e.g. "pure" micro-controller
see the following articles:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-choose-a-MicroController/?ALLSTEPS
http://makezine.com/magazine/make-36-boards/which-board-is-right-for-me/
short list : http://www.makershed.com/pages/microcontroller-comparison
mega-list : http://www.embeddeddeveloper.com/

b) mini-pc assembly
   -- "2014's version of the '90's put together your pc

Example boards (pi format):
I've tried to limit the example boards in this category to
those that have "pi" format/ pi expansion connectors.
http://elinux.org and http://linuxgizmos.com provide nice overviews of the
various boards listed below.
http://element14.com provides a nice forum / discussion
for some of the following:

   CPU       | board tag   | site reference
      --            Raspberry Pi  : http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiBoard
     --            Banana  Pi  : http://www.bananapi.org/p/product.html
   ARM        BeagleBone   : http://BeagleBoard.org
   Intel/Atom minnow max   : http://Minnowboard.org
   MIPS       creator c120 : http://elinux.org/MIPS_Creator_CI20
   Freescale  RioTboard    :
http://linuxgizmos.com/open-source-iot-sbc-cortex-a9-linux-android/

Desktop processing power (less than giggaflop range) -- non-pi
   *Freescle wandboard : http://Wandboard.org
   *Linux with arduino :
http://linuxgizmos.com/intel-launches-arduino-compatible-galileo-board/
   *pcDuino                 : http://www.linksprite.com/?p=240
   *Hummingboard     : http://www.solid-run.com/products/hummingboard/

Desktop processing power or greater (Giggaflops range)
   *NVIDIA Jetson TK1  : http://elinux.org/Jetson_TK1
   *AMD   Gizmo        : http://GizmoSphere.org ; (usable in pc pci slot!)

http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-newsArticle_print&ID=1777446&highlight=
    Parallella         : www.parallella.org/ (can work with Pi as addon)

short overview of some of the above boards :
http://linuxgizmos.com/rate-your-favorite-open-single-board-computers/#32-open-single-board-computers

II) Ready-to-go
-- ready to use out of the box (may need monitor, keyboard)
-- examples: phablets; pads; pico/nano itx size boxes; "tv" sticks
-- While many things in this category can run under $200 ;
          quite a few are over the $200 range. e.g. fit pc 3 runs > $1200

Consumer examples in this category can be found at
http://www.fanlesstech.com/
and http://liliputing.com/
Some searchable examples on the above sites: allwinner; brix; chrome; ouya;
steam; fit pc; intense pc;
 Zotac
<http://liliputing.com/2014/08/zotac-zbox-pi320-pocket-sized-bay-trail-desktop-pc.html>,
Gigabyte