[SATLUG] CUPS and page breaks

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 11:06:32 CDT 2014

Jeremy Mann wrote:
> We are retiring a big OCE printer that prints jobs coming from Austin. The
> output is from their mainframe and the OCE printer interprets a "1" as the
> first character on a line as a page break. I've searched and searched CUPS
> documentation on a way to do this, but I'm not finding anything. Has
> anybody done something like this before?

That's a very old standard for line printers that dates back to the 1960s.

It's unclear what you want to to do though.  Do you want to add 1s or
delete them?  In either case, shouldn't filtering the file, either
adding 1 after new line characters or deleting the 1 after a new line
(as appropriate) fix the issue?

   -- Bruce