[SATLUG] CUPS and page breaks

Craig sargonemail at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 00:06:22 CDT 2014

*> Jeremy Mann* on *Wed Sep 24 08:35:09 CDT 2014* wrote:
> The output is from their mainframe and the OCE printer interprets a "1" as the
> first character on a line as a page break. I've searched and searched CUPS
> documentation on a way to do this, but I'm not finding anything.

Are you trying to send the mainframe output to a more "modern"
printer (the OCE printer)?

So, what would be the problem of using the backend of CUPS (
http://www.cups.org/spm.html#WRITING_BACKENDS ) to add a
filter with a regular expression to either change the pagefeed
character to a line with just 1 or the otherway around, change the 1 to
a pagefeed character.
After the "filter", have the script send it on it's way to the "modern"
printer.
So, from a user stand point, they'd send it to the "old" printer; but
retrieve it on the "modern" one.

Craig