[SATLUG] floppy issue

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Fri Apr 3 16:34:23 CDT 2015

Needing to communicate with some old lab equipment I have to
use a 3.5" floppy drive. So I just switched to some new hardware
from an older AMD-64 system, and using identical kernel 3.10.17
and distribution all of a sudden I am unable to use my floppy drive
anymore. It is not the drive itself, already tested it in another
computer, and other floppy drives behave identically. Its not that
the computer cannot find the drive, the drive is recognized and
enabled in the BIOS, and you can hear it come up. WHen I load it
in fdisk none of my floppies show a partition table. When I try
to mount it it always mounts readonly regardless of the position
of the tab and none of the files can be read. I suspect some
incompatibility between the mobo and the fd0 driver. I can't find
anything useful on google and was just wondering if someone has
come across this type of issue before and knows some remedy?
thanks, and happy Easter to everyone!

-b.