[SATLUG] floppy issue

Don Wright wmail at dslextreme.com
Fri Apr 3 21:55:19 CDT 2015

Borries Demeler wrote:

> Its not that
>the computer cannot find the drive, the drive is recognized and
>enabled in the BIOS, and you can hear it come up.

If you have the BIOS option to floppy seek at startup enabled, the light
on fd0 should light briefly and you'll hear the drive spin up and seek
to the home track. This checks all the subsystems, so when this works
you've eliminated most hardware issues.

> WHen I load it
>in fdisk none of my floppies show a partition table.

Floppies don't have partition tables, and so fdisk doesn't know anything
about them.

> When I try
>to mount it it always mounts readonly regardless of the position
>of the tab and none of the files can be read.

What mount command are you using?

Either way I'd suggest using a copy of Puppy Linux (on CD or USB stick)
as your testing OS, as it's pretty good with most hardware. There's a
GUI mount utility that helps with such explorations.  --Don

--
I just realized the USB stick I casually loaned somebody has more capacity
than all the disk drives at my university (and cost less than one textbook.)