[SATLUG] floppy issue

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Sat Apr 4 06:59:43 CDT 2015

On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 09:55:19PM -0500, Don Wright wrote:
> Borries Demeler wrote:
>
> > Its not that
> >the computer cannot find the drive, the drive is recognized and
> >enabled in the BIOS, and you can hear it come up.
>
> If you have the BIOS option to floppy seek at startup enabled, the light
> on fd0 should light briefly and you'll hear the drive spin up and seek
> to the home track. This checks all the subsystems, so when this works
> you've eliminated most hardware issues.

Yes, that's exactly what happens. And it can boot off the floppy.

> > WHen I load it
> >in fdisk none of my floppies show a partition table.
>
> Floppies don't have partition tables, and so fdisk doesn't know anything
> about them.

On the previous hardware I could access the floppy without issues
using the exact same kernel and configuration. I cloned the entire
install onto a new harddrive and nothing dealing with floppies was changed.

> > When I try
> >to mount it it always mounts readonly regardless of the position
> >of the tab and none of the files can be read.
>
> What mount command are you using?

mount /dev/fd0 /mnt

But I also have problems with fdisk /dev/fd0 and mkdosfs /dev/fd0

> Either way I'd suggest using a copy of Puppy Linux (on CD or USB stick)
> as your testing OS, as it's pretty good with most hardware. There's a
> GUI mount utility that helps with such explorations.  --Don

I will try, but am not hopeful. There must be different driver needed
for this hardware.

-b.