[SATLUG] floppy issue

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Sat Apr 11 17:25:57 CDT 2015

Finally got back to this.
Here is what I find:

* I can boot an old dos/windows95 floppy from the drive just fine

* I can format other floppies from the booted floppy drive without
problem and can make them bootable on this system as well - as long
as I used the original windows95/msdos boot floppy for the formatting.

* mounting the old or newly formatted floppies under Linux is impossible:

mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/fd0,
       dmesg | tail  or so

(regardless what fstype I tried to mount it as, e.g., vfat, msdos, fat, etc)

* formatting the floppies under Linux with any filesystem seems to succeed at
first, including all Linux or windows or msdos file systems, at least there is
no error message.

* mounting such formatted filesystems under Linux returns the same exact error
as above:

 mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/fd0,
       dmesg | tail  or so

Any idea?

-b.