[SATLUG] floppy issue -- hopefully a resolution

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Sun Apr 12 20:51:55 CDT 2015

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 06:18:42PM -0500, Craig wrote:
> *>> Borries Demeler* demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
> <satlug%40satlug.org?Subject=%5BSATLUG%5D%20floppy%20issue&In-Reply-To=CAFx7u5xwOqjwXRUrSVT%2BYM9v_g6X-PkqUBBQp%3DwN8dHKOtYemA%40mail.gmail.com>on
> Sun Apr 12 17:21:13 CDT 2015 wrote:>* After doing *"sudo modprobe floppy"*,
> what does dmesg show? *>> Nothing. I checked, there is no module called
> floppy.* in my stock Slack 14 kernel. (3.10.17).
> >* (or going for same effect, different method, is "floppy" listed in *>
> * /etc/modules -- if not add & reboot) * >> There is no such module in my
> distro's kernel.
>
> There is no floppy controller support compiled into the kernel that your
> using.
>
> /dev/fd0 is being generated based on bio's info, no source code/binary
> module to make use of /dev/fd0
>
> Just a guess, but the box isn't running the huge "all the drivers included"
> install kernel, but the generic kernel built after install to include just
> the necessary modules for the hardware items found at the time of install.
> (hence, no floppy module & no way to use /dev/fd0 since floppy drive
> hardware was added after the install was complete.)
> http://www.slackware.com/announce/14.0.php
>
> "simple" options on sticking with current install:
>
> a) rebuild kernel :
> http://docs.slackware.com/howtos:slackware_admin:kernelbuilding
>
> b) use the huge "all the drivers included" install kernel
>
> c) boot to a livecd distro running in ram which contains floppy drive
> support.
>
> Hope one of the above works, because the other problems it might be are
> ugly.
>
> Craig

That doesn't make any sense to me - first of all, I *am* using the "huge"
kernel with all modules compiled. Secondly, floppy drive works just fine
with the old motherboard. I will download the latest kernel and see if it
includes a driver for this latest motherboard. The only other thing I can
think of is looking for a newer bios.

Can you tell me where in the kernel source is the "floppy" module?
What option in the kernel config file needs to be turned on?

The only option in my kernel related to "FLOPPY" is
CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU_FLOPPY_WA=y
(which is set).

Thanks, -b.