[SATLUG] floppy issue -- mknod

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Mon Apr 13 18:47:21 CDT 2015

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 05:55:23PM -0500, Craig wrote:
> > Didn't you state a few days ago that this was a hard drive clone from a
> different motherboard? Could this be the issue? Since it wasn't installed
> properly on the board and floppy controller that you are now using?
> ^> Borries Demeler wrote:
> ^> Yes, it is a harddrive clone, but can you point me to something
> ^> that would actually make a difference? And what do you mean with it
> wasn't
> ^> installed "properly"? What else besides installing a kernel and
> configuring
> ^> it with a boot loader is there? What would be any different if this
> ^> computer were installed from scratch with a new install from a factory
> distro?
> Dooh....
> Traditionally, 2 floppy slots on the wire.

yeah, but my floppy connector only has one :-) So no mixup is possible.

> So, if you had it wired as A under the cloned, but wired it as B, would
> have the issues discussed.
> ls -l /dev/fd0
> should show something like the following (date info not relevant)
> brw-rw---- 1 root floppy 2, 0 May 14 1996 /dev/fd0

yup, just like mine:
brw-rw---- 1 root floppy 2, 0 Apr 13 09:06 /dev/fd0

So, that's not it. I can only conclude a buggy kernel doesn't support
new hardware, or buggy hardware doesn't conform to standards. Low chance
of getting it addressed by anyone at bugzilla.kernel.org with floppies
out of general use for many years.

There are a few newer kernel versions than mine, so I probably will try
this.

-b.