[SATLUG] Re: SATLUG Digest, Vol 135, Issue 13

Alvin Schurman alvin.schurman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 16:00:08 CDT 2015


I can't use a rackmount either because of the noise and heat.  How much was
the 2x hex core and where did you get it?

On Apr 23, 2015 1:22 PM, <satlug-request at satlug.org> wrote:
>
> Send SATLUG mailing list submissions to
>         satlug at satlug.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         http://alamo.satlug.org/mailman/listinfo/satlug
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         satlug-request at satlug.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         satlug-owner at satlug.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of SATLUG digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: Local Vendor (Ron)
>    2. Re: Local Vendor (Peter Cross)
>    3. Re: Local Vendor (Ron)
>    4. RE: Local Vendor (Travis Hegwer)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 15:22:40 -0500
> From: Ron <ron.j.mann at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [SATLUG] Local Vendor
> To: satlug at satlug.org
> Message-ID: <55380310.80501 at gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
>
> I ended up ordering a 2 x hex core; 48 GB RAM; 4 x 1 TB drives used Dell
> workstation. A server sounded nice, but they are just too loud for my
> place. Thank you all again.
>
> On 04/16/2015 09:28 PM, Alan Lesmerises wrote:
> > I recently had to buy one and got a pretty good deal from newegg -- an
> > HP ProLiant G5 with 2 dual core Xeon CPUs, 16GB RAM, 8 10,000 RPM
> > 72GB, all for under $300.  They usually have a variety, and the
> > choices will vary.
> >
> > But they're definitely not local!
> >
> > Al Lesmerises
> >
> >
> > On 4/16/2015 7:41 AM, Travis Hegwer wrote:
> >> I know you were wanting local but I have ordered countless off lease
> >> power edge 2950s from Ebay, Amazon, Etc. For $250 - $900 depending on
> >> HDDs. They all have worked great and run Citrix XEN, most come with
> >> at least 16GB memory. Check it out if you haven't already.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> Travis
> >>
> >>
> >> -----Original Message-----
> >> From: satlug-bounces at satlug.org [mailto:satlug-bounces at satlug.org] On
> >> Behalf Of Ron
> >> Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 11:59 PM
> >> To: satlug at satlug.org
> >> Subject: Re: [SATLUG] Local Vendor
> >>
> >> One of my friends did this. Grabbed a few laptops and built a beowulf
> >> system. (Combined computing power to make a super system). It worked
> >> well, but would not work for what I want. Thank you for the idea.
> >>
> >> On 04/15/2015 05:52 PM, Joe wrote:
> >>> I know it sounds like it wouldn't work, but I buy broke screen laptops
> >>> with good CPUs.  I call them "Headless Servers". ;-) On Apr 15, 2015
> >>> 3:11 PM, "Ron" <ron.j.mann at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> I am looking to get a decent server or 2 for a virtualization project
> >>>> at my house. Does anyone knew of a good place (relatively close) that
> >>>> offers older hardware at a reasonable price? The only sites are nice,
> >>>> but sometimes it is good to see what is available closer to home.
> >>>>
> >>>> Thanks for your time.
> >>>> --
> >>>> _______________________________________________
> >>>> SATLUG mailing list
> >>>> SATLUG at satlug.org
> >>>> http://alamo.satlug.org/mailman/listinfo/satlug to manage/unsubscribe
> >>>> Powered by Rackspace (www.rackspace.com)
> >>>>
> >> --
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> SATLUG mailing list
> >> SATLUG at satlug.org
> >> http://alamo.satlug.org/mailman/listinfo/satlug to manage/unsubscribe
> >> Powered by Rackspace (www.rackspace.com)
> >>
> >>
> >
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 16:25:17 -0500
> From: Peter Cross <pjcrux at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [SATLUG] Local Vendor
> To: "The San Antonio Linux User's Group Mailing List"
>         <satlug at satlug.org>
> Message-ID:
>         <
CAACnC-zKrWsMSt9bNmE3nsEUqobdit_PQq8snUoShTESxJyeTQ at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
> if you don't mind me asking where did you find it?
>
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 3:22 PM, Ron <ron.j.mann at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I ended up ordering a 2 x hex core; 48 GB RAM; 4 x 1 TB drives used Dell
> > workstation. A server sounded nice, but they are just too loud for my
> > place. Thank you all again.
> >
> > On 04/16/2015 09:28 PM, Alan Lesmerises wrote:
> >
> >> I recently had to buy one and got a pretty good deal from newegg -- an
HP
> >> ProLiant G5 with 2 dual core Xeon CPUs, 16GB RAM, 8 10,000 RPM 72GB,
all
> >> for under $300.  They usually have a variety, and the choices will
vary.
> >>
> >> But they're definitely not local!
> >>
> >> Al Lesmerises
> >>
> >>
> >> On 4/16/2015 7:41 AM, Travis Hegwer wrote:
> >>
> >>> I know you were wanting local but I have ordered countless off lease
> >>> power edge 2950s from Ebay, Amazon, Etc. For $250 - $900 depending on
HDDs.
> >>> They all have worked great and run Citrix XEN, most come with at
least 16GB
> >>> memory. Check it out if you haven't already.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> Travis
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> -----Original Message-----
> >>> From: satlug-bounces at satlug.org [mailto:satlug-bounces at satlug.org] On
> >>> Behalf Of Ron
> >>> Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 11:59 PM
> >>> To: satlug at satlug.org
> >>> Subject: Re: [SATLUG] Local Vendor
> >>>
> >>> One of my friends did this. Grabbed a few laptops and built a beowulf
> >>> system. (Combined computing power to make a super system). It worked
well,
> >>> but would not work for what I want. Thank you for the idea.
> >>>
> >>> On 04/15/2015 05:52 PM, Joe wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> I know it sounds like it wouldn't work, but I buy broke screen
laptops
> >>>> with good CPUs.  I call them "Headless Servers". ;-) On Apr 15, 2015
> >>>> 3:11 PM, "Ron" <ron.j.mann at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>>  I am looking to get a decent server or 2 for a virtualization
project
> >>>>> at my house. Does anyone knew of a good place (relatively close)
that
> >>>>> offers older hardware at a reasonable price? The only sites are
nice,
> >>>>> but sometimes it is good to see what is available closer to home.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Thanks for your time.
> >>>>> --
> >>>>> _______________________________________________
> >>>>> SATLUG mailing list
> >>>>> SATLUG at satlug.org
> >>>>> http://alamo.satlug.org/mailman/listinfo/satlug to
manage/unsubscribe
> >>>>> Powered by Rackspace (www.rackspace.com)
> >>>>>
> >>>>>  --
> >>> _______________________________________________
> >>> SATLUG mailing list
> >>> SATLUG at satlug.org
> >>> http://alamo.satlug.org/mailman/listinfo/satlug to manage/unsubscribe
> >>> Powered by Rackspace (www.rackspace.com)
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> > --
> > _______________________________________________
> > SATLUG mailing list
> > SATLUG at satlug.org
> > http://alamo.satlug.org/mailman/listinfo/satlug to manage/unsubscribe
> > Powered by Rackspace (www.rackspace.com)
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Cheers!
>
> Peter J. Cross
> San Antonio, TX
>
> "Experience has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions"
> -James Madison, Federalist Paper No. 51
>
> "Tyrants fear armed Americans."
> ~Cold Dead Hands
>
> Please consider the environment before printing this email
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 17:47:31 -0500
> From: Ron <ron.j.mann at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [SATLUG] Local Vendor
> To: satlug at satlug.org
> Message-ID: <55382503.8020704 at gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
>
> TL;DR - Ebay vendor called digitalmind2000 - PC Server and Parts. I
> called them directly.
>
> They had some Dell c6105 servers that look interesting (6x AMD hex core,
> 144GB RAM, 3x 250GB drives for under $600). However, I have no room for
> a server. Thus, I ended up going with a Dell workstation. It should be
> delivered soon so I cannot attest to its condition.
>
> On 04/22/2015 04:25 PM, Peter Cross wrote:
> > if you don't mind me asking where did you find it?
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 3:22 PM, Ron <ron.j.mann at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I ended up ordering a 2 x hex core; 48 GB RAM; 4 x 1 TB drives used
Dell
> >> workstation. A server sounded nice, but they are just too loud for my
> >> place. Thank you all again.
> >>
> >> On 04/16/2015 09:28 PM, Alan Lesmerises wrote:
> >>
> >>> I recently had to buy one and got a pretty good deal from newegg --
an HP
> >>> ProLiant G5 with 2 dual core Xeon CPUs, 16GB RAM, 8 10,000 RPM 72GB,
all
> >>> for under $300.  They usually have a variety, and the choices will
vary.
> >>>
> >>> But they're definitely not local!
> >>>
> >>> Al Lesmerises
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> On 4/16/2015 7:41 AM, Travis Hegwer wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> I know you were wanting local but I have ordered countless off lease
> >>>> power edge 2950s from Ebay, Amazon, Etc. For $250 - $900 depending
on HDDs.
> >>>> They all have worked great and run Citrix XEN, most come with at
least 16GB
> >>>> memory. Check it out if you haven't already.
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> Travis
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> -----Original Message-----
> >>>> From: satlug-bounces at satlug.org [mailto:satlug-bounces at satlug.org] On
> >>>> Behalf Of Ron
> >>>> Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 11:59 PM
> >>>> To: satlug at satlug.org
> >>>> Subject: Re: [SATLUG] Local Vendor
> >>>>
> >>>> One of my friends did this. Grabbed a few laptops and built a beowulf
> >>>> system. (Combined computing power to make a super system). It worked
well,
> >>>> but would not work for what I want. Thank you for the idea.
> >>>>
> >>>> On 04/15/2015 05:52 PM, Joe wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>>> I know it sounds like it wouldn't work, but I buy broke screen
laptops
> >>>>> with good CPUs.  I call them "Headless Servers". ;-) On Apr 15, 2015
> >>>>> 3:11 PM, "Ron" <ron.j.mann at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>>>>
> >>>>>   I am looking to get a decent server or 2 for a virtualization
project
> >>>>>> at my house. Does anyone knew of a good place (relatively close)
that
> >>>>>> offers older hardware at a reasonable price? The only sites are
nice,
> >>>>>> but sometimes it is good to see what is available closer to home.
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> Thanks for your time.
> >>>>>> --
> >>>>>> _______________________________________________
> >>>>>> SATLUG mailing list
> >>>>>> SATLUG at satlug.org
> >>>>>> http://alamo.satlug.org/mailman/listinfo/satlug to
manage/unsubscribe
> >>>>>> Powered by Rackspace (www.rackspace.com)
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>   --
> >>>> _______________________________________________
> >>>> SATLUG mailing list
> >>>> SATLUG at satlug.org
> >>>> http://alamo.satlug.org/mailman/listinfo/satlug to manage/unsubscribe
> >>>> Powered by Rackspace (www.rackspace.com)
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >> --
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> SATLUG mailing list
> >> SATLUG at satlug.org
> >> http://alamo.satlug.org/mailman/listinfo/satlug to manage/unsubscribe
> >> Powered by Rackspace (www.rackspace.com)
> >>
> >
> >
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 18:47:09 -0700
> From: Travis Hegwer <travis at dstechnology.net>
> Subject: RE: [SATLUG] Local Vendor
> To: The San Antonio Linux User's Group Mailing List
>         <satlug at satlug.org>
> Message-ID:
>         <
798D4F793E52344384EBE092A26616DDEF2207AAC7 at exchange.envirosolutions.com>
>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> You can say that again about the sound. I finally moved my Dell PowerEdge
2950 out of the house and man I forgot what silence sounded like.
>
>
> Travis
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: satlug-bounces at satlug.org [mailto:satlug-bounces at satlug.org] On
Behalf Of Ron
> Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 3:23 PM
> To: satlug at satlug.org
> Subject: Re: [SATLUG] Local Vendor
>
> I ended up ordering a 2 x hex core; 48 GB RAM; 4 x 1 TB drives used Dell
workstation. A server sounded nice, but they are just too loud for my
place. Thank you all again.
>
> On 04/16/2015 09:28 PM, Alan Lesmerises wrote:
> > I recently had to buy one and got a pretty good deal from newegg -- an
> > HP ProLiant G5 with 2 dual core Xeon CPUs, 16GB RAM, 8 10,000 RPM
> > 72GB, all for under $300.  They usually have a variety, and the
> > choices will vary.
> >
> > But they're definitely not local!
> >
> > Al Lesmerises
> >
> >
> > On 4/16/2015 7:41 AM, Travis Hegwer wrote:
> >> I know you were wanting local but I have ordered countless off lease
> >> power edge 2950s from Ebay, Amazon, Etc. For $250 - $900 depending on
> >> HDDs. They all have worked great and run Citrix XEN, most come with
> >> at least 16GB memory. Check it out if you haven't already.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> Travis
> >>
> >>
> >> -----Original Message-----
> >> From: satlug-bounces at satlug.org [mailto:satlug-bounces at satlug.org] On
> >> Behalf Of Ron
> >> Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 11:59 PM
> >> To: satlug at satlug.org
> >> Subject: Re: [SATLUG] Local Vendor
> >>
> >> One of my friends did this. Grabbed a few laptops and built a beowulf
> >> system. (Combined computing power to make a super system). It worked
> >> well, but would not work for what I want. Thank you for the idea.
> >>
> >> On 04/15/2015 05:52 PM, Joe wrote:
> >>> I know it sounds like it wouldn't work, but I buy broke screen
> >>> laptops with good CPUs.  I call them "Headless Servers". ;-) On Apr
> >>> 15, 2015
> >>> 3:11 PM, "Ron" <ron.j.mann at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> I am looking to get a decent server or 2 for a virtualization
> >>>> project at my house. Does anyone knew of a good place (relatively
> >>>> close) that offers older hardware at a reasonable price? The only
> >>>> sites are nice, but sometimes it is good to see what is available
closer to home.
> >>>>
> >>>> Thanks for your time.
> >>>> --
> >>>> _______________________________________________
> >>>> SATLUG mailing list
> >>>> SATLUG at satlug.org
> >>>> http://alamo.satlug.org/mailman/listinfo/satlug to
> >>>> manage/unsubscribe Powered by Rackspace (www.rackspace.com)
> >>>>
> >> --
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> SATLUG mailing list
> >> SATLUG at satlug.org
> >> http://alamo.satlug.org/mailman/listinfo/satlug to manage/unsubscribe
> >> Powered by Rackspace (www.rackspace.com)
> >>
> >>
> >
>
> --
> _______________________________________________
> SATLUG mailing list
> SATLUG at satlug.org
> http://alamo.satlug.org/mailman/listinfo/satlug to manage/unsubscribe
Powered by Rackspace (www.rackspace.com)
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> SATLUG mailing list
> SATLUG at satlug.org
> http://alamo.satlug.org/mailman/listinfo/satlug
> Powered by Rackspace (http://rackspace.com)
>
> End of SATLUG Digest, Vol 135, Issue 13
> ***************************************


More information about the SATLUG mailing list