[SATLUG] Router recommendation

David Kowis dkowis at shlrm.org
Thu Apr 30 09:39:47 CDT 2015

On 04/29/2015 02:00 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> I just upgraded my internet connection to 200 Mbps.  It works
> nicely. If I connect a system directly to Time-Warner's router, I
> get the advertised speed.
> The problem is that I don't really trust the built in firewall and
>  want to put my own router between Time-Warner's router and my
> network.  I do have a Linksys WRT54G router flashed with dd-wrt
> that works slowly for that.
> Through my router, the speed is limited to around 30-40 Mbps.  The
>  rest of my internal network is a combination of 100 Mbps, 1Gbps,
> and miscellaneous wifi connections.
> Can someone suggest a router that will handle 200 Mbps or more
> where I can load dd-wrt for better control?

I bought a this: http://routerboard.com/RB800 and a pair of wireless N
cards to go in it. http://routerboard.com/R52Hn

You buy the parts and put it together.

It doesn't run dd-wrt directly, it runs the mirkotik OS, but it's a
linux kernel built in. I've got it running at home, and it's certainly
able to handle the load. It's got built in watch dog auto-reboots and
it handles firmware updates nicely.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/ They've got a pretty good wiki as to how to
do it. It's more of a very advanced appliance instead of just a linux
box, but it is linux under the hood. I've been able to do all the
advanced traffic shaping I was doing before with this one, and I'm
very pleased with the reliability of the hardware.

Also, you can create a "MetaRouter" and run an openwrt vm on it, if
you want. I will probably do this to do a bit more advanced OpenVPN
stuff than it offers (443 listening, and some stuff.)

I got it on the recommendation of a friend, and I've been pleased with i

> -- Bruce

Version: GnuPG v2