[SATLUG] Switching to Linux from Windows XP

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Aug 1 00:19:00 CDT 2015

On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 17:49:10 -0500
Chris Montgomery <chrisncats at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, to get to the point, I have a rather urgent need to get a Linux
> install up and running on this machine (don't have the funds to buy
> new right now) because I don't want to lose anymore data. I also
> haven't been keeping up with what has been going on in the Linux
> world for the past several years other than occasionally noticing
> that there are lots of options for someone to choose from who wants
> to make the Windows to Linux switch.

From what I understand,

* Old hardware
* Windows up until now (except for 4 month stint)

I usually recommend Lubuntu for such situations. It's Ubuntu with the
light weight and rock stable LXDE window manager. It Just Works (tm).

It can be installed on small-RAM machines, runs reasonably well on
older processors, has excellent hardware recognition, and doesn't do
anything stupid.

HTH,

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21