[SATLUG] Switching to Linux from Windows XP

Chris Montgomery chrisncats at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 00:58:32 CDT 2015

Peter, Travis, and Al,

Thanks for your replies and for a couple of recommendations for distros/desktop
environments to check out. I've actually started checking out some articles
online that review linux distros and associated desktop environments (didn't
know there was a distinct difference between them before, but now I do).

Here is some hardware information about my Dell computer. Let me know if you
were looking for something else.

Specifications
Dell Computer Corporation
System Model: Dimension XPS Gen 2
BIOS Version: Dell Computer Corporation A02

Operating System
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version: 5.1.2600
Service Pack: 3.0
Location: C:\WINDOWS

Memory (RAM)
Capacity: 2 GB

Processor
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
Version: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
Speed: 3192 MHz

Local Disk
Total Capacity: 111.70 GB
Sum of Hard Disks: (C: D: E: )
  Used: 82.99 GB
  Free: 28.70 GB

Video Card
Model: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Regarding software that I will still need to run under Windows, this would
include financial programs (MS Money, Quickbooks), tax software (H&R Block), and
a few other windows based software programs. I wouldn't need to run these often
but would need the ability to boot to Windows and run them as necessary.

Thanks.

--
Best regards,

Chris Montgomery