[SATLUG] SSH Client Software Recommendations

Wes Henderson whendersonii at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 02:06:17 CST 2015

Wubi is nice. On my Windows machine I personally run VirtualBox with
headless VMs that I set to run at startup. I NAT 127.0.0.1:22 to <VM IP>:22
(and so on for each VM); I then use PuTTy to to get into my headless VM.
You can use a similar setup for X and get a relatively seamless experience
if that's your thing. Here is my write up on the setup:
VirtualBox  by wes • May 12, 2014

The information below can help achieve Windows/Linux harmony (as well as
can be expected) by setting up headless VMs in VirtualBox.

*Suppress all messages*

"%PROGRAMFILES%\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage" setextradata global
"GUI/SuppressMessages" "all"

*List VMs*

"%PROGRAMFILES%\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage" list vms > "%userprofile%\VM
UUID List.txt"

*Port Forwarding*

"%PROGRAMFILES%\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage" modifyvm "<UUID>" --natpf1
"SSH,tcp,127.0.0.1,<Host_Port>,,22"

*Run Headless VM on Startup (Windows)*
REG ADD HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /f /v
<Value_Name> /t REG_SZ /d "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage\"
startvm \"<UUID>\" --type headless"

*Add Quick Launch Location to %PATH% (Windows)*
setx PATH "%PATH%;%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User
Pinned\TaskBar"

*PuTTy Shortcut (Windows)*
%userprofile%\putty.exe -ssh <user>@127.0.0.1 -P <Host_Port> -pw <password>

The last bit is just because I like to add the quick launch location to my
PATH in Windows and put my PuTTY shortcuts in there. Makes for simple
launching. Example:

super + R, f
super + R, u

Launches my Fedora and Ubuntu instances respectively. From there you have a
native Linux environment locally so that you can connect and manage a Linux
servers as they should be. You can also set up a shared folder between the
VM for easier communication.

--wes