[SATLUG] SSH Client Software Recommendations

Othniel Graichen othniel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 11:28:38 CST 2015

Hi Al:

Putty is a text-mode only SSH client.  If you intend to run any GUI apps on
the remote machine you need ssh's X-port-forwarding capability.  If not,
then Putty might serve your needs.

In order to have a "real"  ssh on windows, you need cygwin-X.  This
provides the capability to use Microsoft Windows as a client of an
X-windows session.
Cygwin has the real ssh-client package available.  You install Cygwin bash
and be sure to select Xwindows and openssh-client packages.

I have run Linux' Firefox remotely with this setup and even Linux' Gnome as
the window manager for cygwin which doesnt have a nice one.

When you login just use ssh -X remotemachine and your ssh-tunnel is made
available.  Then use & for any GUI remote programs including xterm!

Othniel