[SATLUG] uefi woes

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 12:00:10 CST 2015

I bought a new computer yesterday, but have had a bit of a problem with
the installation of debian.   It insists on installing in uefi mode.  I
was able to turn off secure boot, so at least I could install the OS,
but it insists on creating an efi partition.

grub.cfg has some references to uefi too.  What I have is

/dev/sda6 on /boot/efi type vfat

where the contents are:

/boot/efi:
EFI

/boot/efi/EFI:
debian

/boot/efi/EFI/debian:
grubx64.efi

What I'd like to do is just get rid of this, but when I do, the system
fails to boot and just executes the uefi firmware user interface.

The motherboard/bios is an Asus X99-A.

Does anyone have an idea about how I can set this up to a legacy boot mode?

   -- Bruce