[SATLUG] Switching to Linux from Windows XP

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Fri Jul 31 23:21:28 CDT 2015

I know the rest of the list can (and probably will) confirm or refute
this, but my experience has been that when it comes to older hardware
(slower CPUs, less RAM, less capable graphics cards, etc.), the main
driver behind whether you will have a positive experience with any
flavor of Linux will be the choice of desktop environment you use.
Unity was mentioned before, but Gnome & KDE can also place a load on
older hardware (again, that's been _my_ experience).  I've had good luck
running LXDE or XFCE in those cases, and they are definitely quite
usable and don't feel like you're giving up anything.

However, I would say that in the long-term, having hardware that can
support a 64-bit operating system will become a more significant
concern.  It seems that several of the more major, mainstream distros
have already dropped support for 32-bit versions, or will soon do so.
To me, that has implications as far as long-term support (patches &
updates) for whatever distro you go with.

However, I would bet that the various versions or derivatives of Ubuntu
will probably continue to package 32-bit versions for quite some time to
come.  For nothing else, I think that doing so is entirely consistent
with their main philosophy of trying to bring affordable computing to
the masses (including the 3rd world), and older platforms like yours are
the kind of tech they would want to be compatible with.

As far as one that has a generally similar look and feel as XP, I really
like Mint, especially since it looks like they put a lot of emphasis on
desktop usability for people who are switching from Windows.

As always, YMMV.

Al Lesmerises