[SATLUG] Starter concepts for "Help with My Linux"

Craig sargonemail at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 17:32:51 CDT 2015

In agreement about mailing list not exactly being the appropriate method
to get up to speed on creating/rolling one's own distro.
So, just providing some starting reference pointers (without using LFS)
that one can then use google or other suitable search methods to track
down the details (or use LFS as an organized google reference to track down
non-LFS related details).

a) Might want to get up to speed on using/installing a distro on a VM,
such as http://troubleshooters.com/linux/diy/plopinst.htm
Use this to figure/learn how to build/add tinycore to this!
Add in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_Mage or tazpkg and make use
of tazpkg's convert to tazpkg format.
Need to figure out how to pull down/compile source for the debian packages
and/or other packages such as redhat rpm's vs. just using arch linux pacman
only build from sources style.
At which point, should be able to grab the appropriate packages for
building/compiling the system to specifications listed.

b) Alternatively, learn how to roll a base iso image using info covered in
part a)
along with SystemImageKit http://github.com/probonopd/SystemImageKit
Then boot to the image using grub and "build" away.
It'll make experimenting/learning/building the distro a bit easier.
Just have to "burn" the iso to dvd or copy to/configure usb to boot the iso
image!

c) A pseudo-diy "small" roll-your own, in-ram, usb, non-LFS, does source
thing
to look at pupply linux and "customize" to suit!
ppc (http://macpup.org/ )
arm (http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/arm-index.html )

Could do something like http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Dpup
or DebianDog, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93225
turn your "customize install" into the customized distro your looking for.

Once the install/setup satisfies the goals/objectives, just use something
such as:
https://github.com/probonopd/SystemImageKit
http://www.linux-live.org/
and/or appropriate distro tool(s) to make the live boot/run in ram startup
iso/usb such as
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/operating-systems/10-scripts-to-create-your-own-linux-distribution-665247

> In "Help with My Linux" Travvis Moseley on Jun 9 wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I would like help building My Linux. It's name will be Talix for Tails
> Linux and I need these goals.
>      * Have a Sonic and Tails theme
>      * Use kmscon for system consoles
>      * Support Spanish and Japanese
>      * Be fun
?? engineering definition of fun or general public definition of fun ??

>      * Run in RAM
So, the distribution would need to be recompiled when config files change?

> * Have a tiny core like TinyCore Linux
TinyCore is a stripped down kernel vs. the microkernel, GNU/Hurd
Like Arch Hurd : www.archhurd.org
or debian/hurd : https://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/Hurd