[SATLUG] small laptop screen

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Sun Jun 28 10:40:21 CDT 2015

someone gave me an older Lenovo Atom with a small screen
(1024x600), dual core and stellar battery life (it even
came with a second battery, which gives me about 8-10 hours
of life, plenty for a transatlantic flight. I installed Slack 14.1
and it runs like a charm. The only issue I have is that I can't
seem to figure out how to create a virtual screen size that is
larger than the 1024x600. I used to be able to include "Virtual x y"
in my "Screen" SubSection in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but that no longer
seems to have any effect.

I recall that it was possible to have a larger virtual desktop and
just bumping with the mouse at the borders of the screen I could
navigate the larger desktop space. THis would allow me to have
a program on the screen that doesnt fit within the vertical dimension
and still "see" all portions of the application, without
having portions cut off.

Please note that I am not looking for a solution of multiple
virtual desktops of the same size, I already have that working.
I just need to make the workspace bigger so I can have more
real estate.

How do I do that with the latest versions of X11?

Thanks, -b.