[SATLUG] Graphics in bash prompt

Joe null.div.zero at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 01:29:37 CDT 2015

Good morning everyone,
     I'm hoping someone can help me uphold the good name of Linux.  Please
let it never be said that DOS could do something that Linux cannot
(currently):  Around the time of ms-dos 5.0 my brother in law helped me
setup my C:\ to display a .gif within the prompt itself.  I'm up late
tonight babysitting a moody windows server; so, naturally, I'm toying with
a raspberry pi in the wee hours of the morning.  And, I'm stumped.  I
cannot remember how we did it in dos, I don't know the correct google
search to make any headway in google, and, of course, I can't "ask" the pi
why it doesn't understand what I want it to do.  So, I'm hoping one of you
might be able to lead me in the right direction.  I want to find a way to
display an icon (or, better yet, an animated gif) inside one of the
components of the bash prompt.  Something like:  "`[<waving American
flag>]'null at mallard>$".  And, before the naysayers come after me, look at
the run-level 3 of open suse, or the console of a raspberry pi.  Those
consoles display the type graphic I am looking for; but, I don't know how
to research that (what name would you give it, I don't think it's a simple
ncurses process).
      Further, if no one has any ideas on how to do it in the given Linux
environment, perhaps one/some of you would be interested in starting
development on such a project with me.  I know a little c, more java, and
I'm not afraid of a new language or library.
     just think how nice it would be to have a little waving flag, growing
grass, fetching dog, or what ever denoting your last console position!

Note:  an interesting article I found while looking for the above described
solution:
http://www.opensourceforu.com/2011/08/spicing-up-console-for-fun-profit-1/