[SATLUG] hello satlug

Eddy Sackinger me at eddysackinger.com
Sun Nov 1 17:02:02 CST 2015

Just a warning I just joined the SATLUG email list today, because I want to
get to know other Linux users with cool ideas where I currently am, let me
know if I'm out of line or whatever.  I have never worked in the Linux
industry, but I use Linux on a daily basis in both my phone (Sometimes
Sailfish OS, sometimes Android) and my laptop (Arch Linux).

I would be interested in doing some work with LFS.  What kind of Laptop
docking station are you thinking about?  When I think of a smartphone
laptop docking station, I think of something that pipes a smartphone to a
laptop type shell, and therefore wouldn't need LFS.  I haven't directly
worked with LFS before but I want to learn.

Thanks,
Eddy Sackinger

On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 4:22 PM, Craig <sargonemail at gmail.com> wrote:

> Or perhaps the group would be more interested in a "building a diy
> smartphone laptop docking station with LFS"?
>
> Craig
>
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 3:59 PM, Craig <sargonemail at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > *Daniel Villarreal* wrote:
> > > Lan party would be way cool! ...
> > > We could meet online... I'm sure we could come up with something!
> > Ummm... solves the group location issues! Optionally, what about a VR
> viewer "meeting" ?
> > For the diy cell phone group, a few ideas :
> > Google Cardboard v2 Viewer :
> http://www.roadtovr.com/google-releases-open-source-plans-for-cardboard-v2-viewer/
> > Rephone :
> http://www.damngeeky.com/2015/09/23/35521/rephone-worlds-first-open-source-modular-phone-you-can-build-like-you-want.html
> )
> > Fairphone :
> http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/fairphone-2-hands-on-modular-phones-are-finally-here/
> > Yay3d :
> http://www.damngeeky.com/2014/05/08/21158/yay3d-vr-viewer-converts-7-inch-tablet-virtual-reality-3d-entertainment-system.html

> > > I would like to delve more into Linux From Scratch.
> > ?? modding smartphone using LFS work ??
> >
> > > I was just doing a new setup of latest OpenBSD on my old hardware....
> > > albeit with a fast "old-fashioned" hard drive, it's very nice!
> >
> > That would be the cost several times more than a $66 2-Terabyte modern
> drive or
> > no longer has a type of intereface supported by modern motherboards
> without needing
> > more than one conversion gadget type hard drive?
> >
> > What ever happened to the SATLUG Trinity group that did a presentation
> related to
> > "DOOM" and their code mod/fix to generate minimal network latency?
> > Wonder if the aforementioned Trinity group would be up for doing a LAN
> demo
> > using Google Cardboard v2 Viewer or other suitablely available
> smartphone viewers
> > instead of "bulky" monitors ala LFS-SmartPhone Viewer setup.
> >
> > Craig

Thank You,
Eddy Sackinger