[SATLUG] hello satlug

Daniel Villarreal youcanlinux at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 17:39:30 CST 2015

On 11/01/15 16:59, Craig wrote:
> *Daniel Villarreal* wrote:
>> Lan party would be way cool! ...
>> We could meet online... I'm sure we could come up with something!
> Ummm... solves the group location issues! Optionally, what about a VR
> viewer "meeting" ?

That sounds great!

> For the diy cell phone group, a few ideas :
> Google Cardboard v2 Viewer :
> http://www.roadtovr.com/google-releases-open-source-plans-for-cardboard-v2-viewer/
> Rephone : http://www.damngeeky.com/2015/09/23/35521/rephone-worlds-first-open-source-modular-phone-you-can-build-like-you-want.html
> )
> Fairphone : http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/fairphone-2-hands-on-modular-phones-are-finally-here/
> Yay3d : http://www.damngeeky.com/2014/05/08/21158/yay3d-vr-viewer-converts-7-inch-tablet-virtual-reality-3d-entertainment-system.html

Sounds very interesting! I need to study this stuff.

>> I would like to delve more into Linux From Scratch.
> ?? modding smartphone using LFS work ??

You know, I just recently got a modern phone... I'm wanting to do more
with it. I was checking out ghostscript documentation and I found it
interesting that they consider their commercial stuff as suitable for
embedded-type apps.

>> I was just doing a new setup of latest OpenBSD on my old hardware....
>> albeit with a fast "old-fashioned" hard drive, it's very nice!
>
> That would be the cost several times more than a $66 2-Terabyte modern drive or
> no longer has a type of intereface supported by modern motherboards
> without needing more than one conversion gadget type hard drive?

Yeah, it's been awhile since I purchased an EIDE hd brand new. Whaaat?
66 bucks for 2 tb??

> What ever happened to the SATLUG Trinity group that did a presentation
> related to "DOOM" and their code mod/fix to generate minimal network latency?
> Wonder if the aforementioned Trinity group would be up for doing a LAN demo
> using Google Cardboard v2 Viewer or other suitablely available
> smartphone viewers instead of "bulky" monitors ala LFS-SmartPhone Viewer setup.

  Trinity group? I don't know about that part of the club.

> Craig

Daniel V.