[SATLUG] Rackspace

Joe null.div.zero at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 06:35:13 CST 2015

Brad,   thanks for taking the time for all this.   I'm not active in any
open source projects.   I'm not sure I would have anything to offer.?  We
used java in college,  and I've fiddled with Android development a
little.   But,  not in a serious way.  And,  I don't do any development or
scripting in my role at work.   In my mind,  having such limited experience
in coding,  I wouldn't be of much use on an open source project.   The work
I've been doing is server management,  IT analysis, and (most notably)
network communications design and implementation.

I guess that get to the crux of why I'm asking for help.   I'm not sure
what industries want these skill sets. I've been working in under the
blanket sector of "IT"  for 4 years,  since college.   I spent the first 3
years working hard on pipeline operations,  and loved it.   It was
definitely the "deep end".  I was repeatedly asked (or commanded)  to do
things beyond my experience.  And, made a name for myself as the go to guy
for networking projects.   The bad news was that I was on call 24/7 for all
pipeline operations,  and was the only "IT" / network guy they had.   That
was NO FUN!  Then there was a merger.   Our company was the larger of the
2; but,  all of the original managers/owners broke off,  to start new
companies.  They wanted me to come along,  but,  the on-call beatings had
me worn pretty thin.   So,  turned them down; and,  I still think that was
the right move.  Unfortunately,  the newly compiled company,  the one I'm
with now,  is primarily run out of Dallas, and with their old management
and IT department in place.  And,  the IT team up there is not real
interested in sharing their responsibilities.   So,  I'm stuck in a
satellite office,  essentially just doing help desk work.   And,  I don't
see that changing. The group in Dallas is competent,  and doesn't seem
interested in letting any new blood in.   So,  if there's no room to move
up; I need to move laterally.  And,  I don't know which direction to go.