[SATLUG] Ideal 11" - 13" note book for Linux

Glenn Boswell gboswellsac at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 7 10:01:17 CST 2015

It has been a while since I have had a Linux notebook as the OSX has been close enough to Unix with the bsd heritage. I've been sidelined with a back injury that gives me lots of time to experiment with my computers now. To help the Internet students I have in a intro OS class at SAC I have purchased some refurbished HP Elitebook Windows 7 laptops as we use VMPlayer and have a Win7 and Fedora 32 bit virtuals for the class for students to experiment with and get exposed to Linux in a relative harmless manner.
In the last month I have spent more time waiting on Windows 7 to close and start doing the "updates" than actually running Windows 7. Windows 8.1 and 10 are almost as bad and each has some issues with video (drivers for 10 are fun on i5 second generation HP Elitebooks). Since SAC CIS is a VMware academy the students can access VMware Workstation for 1 year for free and could run the two virtuals inside VMware Workstation on a Linux box.
Before I get into this deeply and set up for an alternative for next semester, assuming I will get another class, I would like to hear from some of the purists on notebooks that are not a chore to set up and work well with Linux (distro that works well on it).
Those that use less than state of the art notebooks to the front of the line as most of my students do not have the $1200.00 for a notebook. I may be looking at this all wrong and I am open to suggestions. I would like to show them a Linux solution as many of them are like me are tired of the Windows updates every time you need to shutdown or start up quickly .... I have OSX but I'd like to get back using Linux full time. I guess OSX just gave me a reliable box that worked without having to upgrade drivers every month but I have time now.
ThanksGlenn Boswell    Freedom is not Free, let us not Forget! "We make a living by what we Get. We make a LIFE by what we GIVE."Sir Winston Churchill