[SATLUG] SATLUG Meetings

typedeaf at yahoo.com typedeaf at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 11 11:50:56 CST 2015

How many times a year can you talk about LFS? Seriously, I have been to less than 6 SATLUG meetings, and if they don't start off talking about LFS, they seaway into it, or the next weeks agenda is LFS. LFS is a project indirectly aimed at making a Linux install as painful as possible. Academically you don't learn much anything other than the sum of the parts and how to piece them together. Not knocking the usefulness of LFS, but I am questioning the frequency of discussion.

Lets be frank about why SATLUG attendance is so low. Most of the meetings are not well planned, and the presentations are not very good. Sure, its easy for me to criticize from the side line, but all I know is what isn't working. I don't have a silver bullet. I know that the only reason I would ever go to another meeting would be to socialize among fellow Linux-heads. Presentations are nice, but if the presentation is bad, its much worse than not even having one.
Let me also be frank about my take on comments such as, "I would love to teach everyone <BLAH>". Its annoying. If you would love to, then just prepare a presentation and present it. Don't be expecting people to reach out to you and say, "Oh wow, you can do <BLAH>? Please teach me what you know." And please do not mistake a presentation with a lecture or lesson plan. Present to the other users of the group something you did or discovered that they too might find interesting, and open to floor to any questions.

There are people that use Linux as an alternative desktop OS to Windows, and they want what they would expect from Microsoft products and features to be in Linux distros. There are people that want to learn about Linux because their job is supporting it as a server OS alternative to UNIX. There are people that develop software and want to learn how to use Linux as their development environment since it has free compilers and cross compilers for most popular programming languages. There are people that want to use Linux as an embedded OS for some type of device that requires an OS that has a C run-time. It would be impossible to have a discussion that would interest all of these types of people. But, If you provide the meeting agenda in advance, then people can determine if the topic interests them.
In my opinion, the SATLUG should just be a show-and-tell friendly type of environment, and in the right community of people, there would be a wait list for next demo opening because everyone is contributing. If what you want to do is show up, and have someone present you with a lesson or lecture like in school, why not just go to YouTube and watch some videos there?

I derive no joy in attending a sports bar event and watching dudes on a TV screen compete against each other. It actually drains my energy level to attend such events. SATLUG is the geeks equivalent  to Sunday night football at a sports bar. Unfortunately, from what I have seen, many people are expecting SATLUG to be a free, 'Linux For Beginners', class.

Chad WilsonLinux *USER*