[SATLUG] Using Virtual Servers and Big Cloud Storage

Frank Huddleston fhuddles at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 12:29:00 CST 2015

Greetings,

  I'm intending on doing some traveling and would like to have my "stuff"
available while I'm away from my home. I don't just mean having files
available in the way that Google Drive or Dropbox do: I mean the whole
environment: a server that I can talk to, back up stuff to, run
applications and web pages from, etc. One option I'm considering is home
hosting, but not in my home: in, for example, my son-in-law's home. But I
don't want to expose his home LAN to threats from the wider Internet, and
am not sure how to best prevent that. I'm not particularly network-savvy.
That, however, is a topic for another post.
  Today I'd like to ask if anyone here has set up a virtual cloud server
with storage: the kind of service that Rackspace sells, I think. I'm
looking at the services offered in "Low-End Box": http://lowendbox.com/.
Now: one can get storage with these, as well. Of course it costs. I'm
thinking a minimum of 500 GB for stuff like videos, music, photos, and
other documents I would like to have accessible.
So that's an option, certainly. Has anyone done that? What can you tell me
about that?
  It also seems as though it just might be possible to cobble together
disparate free services: 5 GB free storage here and there, and a whopping
50 GB free with Mega (mega.co.nz).  But the interfaces with those all seem
to be distinct and proprietary: If I get a virtual server with 500MB of
space for $7/month, I can't access my Mega or Dropbox or Google Drive
storage from that server, can I? In fact, even if I bought my 500 GB of
space from, say, Google Drive, I could not do an rsync backup, or some kind
of remote access (I don't think nfs would be an option) from the virtual
server, could I? Or do some have command-line software that would
facilitate this?
  So that's really what I'm asking here: using a virtual server with
various disparate storage accounts doesn't seem feasible but maybe some of
you have done this and know about it. What can you tell me?

Thanks,

Frank Huddleston