[SATLUG] Re: Using Virtual Servers and Big Cloud Storage

Frank Huddleston fhuddles at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 14:11:08 CST 2015

Re: Using Virtual Servers and Big Cloud Storage

Thanks for the replies. I see that Office 365 offers 1TB of cloud storage.
For one year, I assume. That's not bad: but could I access that storage
from my virtual server elsewhere in the cloud? Could I, for example, access
a music file on that cloud drive via mpc or even mopidy on the virtual
Linux server? I think I'd be in the same situation as I would be with any
of the other cloud storage options.
  As for OwnCloud, yes: I downloaded and installed it but have not used it.
Same with Plex. But in any case, I think that OwnCloud and/or Plex would
have the same problems: if I install OpenCloud on the virtual server, it
would expect the served files to be on that same server, right? Not some of
them on DropBox, some in Mega, and some in Office 365's cloud.
  I see this same kind of thing with music-playing software like
Clementine, Android Play Music, etc. They all assume that the music files
are somewhere on the device that the app is running on, not scattered in
various places around the Internet. I believe that mopidy tries to address
this some, but: it's another thing I've installed but not yet configured.
In any case, I think every "service" will have its own way of accessing it:
if you buy music from Amazon, they've got their player, if you buy it from
Google, they've got theirs, if you have it on your hard disk, you can play
it with vlc or whatever. But each uses a distinct way to serve those files.
  Think: no home computer, no home storage: all in the cloud, in different
places in the cloud. 5 GB in DropBox, 5 GB in Google Drive, 50 GB in Mega,
5 GB in Amazon Cloud storage, and then maybe 200 GB rented along with the
virtual server. Is it feasible to tie all that together?

Regards,
Frank H.