[SATLUG] Re: Using Virtual Servers and Big Cloud Storage

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 14:35:46 CST 2015

If I can chime in here.. I've been using Plex Media server for a few years
now and you can link it to your Google Drive account. I pay Google $2.99 a
month for 100GB of storage and it serves my A/V needs and I no longer have
to keep a big server in my house. I've got a little laptop that runs the
server and I'm able to stream any A/V file from anywhere in the world as
long as I have an internet connection.

The other option is to sign up for a Office 365 Business account. I'm not
sure how much it costs, but they offer 1TB of storage included with your
account.

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 2:11 PM, Frank Huddleston <fhuddles at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Re: Using Virtual Servers and Big Cloud Storage
>
> Thanks for the replies. I see that Office 365 offers 1TB of cloud storage.
> For one year, I assume. That's not bad: but could I access that storage
> from my virtual server elsewhere in the cloud? Could I, for example, access
> a music file on that cloud drive via mpc or even mopidy on the virtual
> Linux server? I think I'd be in the same situation as I would be with any
> of the other cloud storage options.
>   As for OwnCloud, yes: I downloaded and installed it but have not used it.
> Same with Plex. But in any case, I think that OwnCloud and/or Plex would
> have the same problems: if I install OpenCloud on the virtual server, it
> would expect the served files to be on that same server, right? Not some of
> them on DropBox, some in Mega, and some in Office 365's cloud.
>   I see this same kind of thing with music-playing software like
> Clementine, Android Play Music, etc. They all assume that the music files
> are somewhere on the device that the app is running on, not scattered in
> various places around the Internet. I believe that mopidy tries to address
> this some, but: it's another thing I've installed but not yet configured.
> In any case, I think every "service" will have its own way of accessing it:
> if you buy music from Amazon, they've got their player, if you buy it from
> Google, they've got theirs, if you have it on your hard disk, you can play
> it with vlc or whatever. But each uses a distinct way to serve those files.
>   Think: no home computer, no home storage: all in the cloud, in different
> places in the cloud. 5 GB in DropBox, 5 GB in Google Drive, 50 GB in Mega,
> 5 GB in Amazon Cloud storage, and then maybe 200 GB rented along with the
> virtual server. Is it feasible to tie all that together?
>
> Regards,
> Frank H.
>

> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 12:29 PM, Frank Huddleston <fhuddles at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> >   I'm intending on doing some traveling and would like to have my "stuff"
> > available while I'm away from my home. I don't just mean having files
> > available in the way that Google Drive or Dropbox do: I mean the whole
> > environment: a server that I can talk to, back up stuff to, run
> > applications and web pages from, etc. One option I'm considering is home
> > hosting, but not in my home: in, for example, my son-in-law's home. But I
> > don't want to expose his home LAN to threats from the wider Internet, and
> > am not sure how to best prevent that. I'm not particularly network-savvy.
> > That, however, is a topic for another post.
> >   Today I'd like to ask if anyone here has set up a virtual cloud server
> > with storage: the kind of service that Rackspace sells, I think. I'm
> > looking at the services offered in "Low-End Box": http://lowendbox.com/.
> > Now: one can get storage with these, as well. Of course it costs. I'm
> [...]

Jeremy Mann
Enterprise HPC Systems Engineer
University of Texas at San Antonio - Office of Information Technology