[SATLUG] Using Virtual Servers and Big Cloud Storage

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Nov 12 16:58:25 CST 2015

On Nov 12, 2015, at 1:38 PM, Shannon Kuchler <shannon at inflecto.org> wrote:

> But I personal run owncloud as my cloud server. Owncloud stores files photos and contact information to name a few of it's option. Owncloud can be accesses via Web or mobile app

I wouldn’t mind using something like that privately inside the house, but I would not be willing to open that up (and my house) to the outside world.

If I’m serving clients that are outside the walls of my house, I want that to come from a central server sitting somewhere that I trust (reasonably), and where I own the full administration rights to that system.  Sure, it might be a VM hosted somewhere, but I own (or at least rent) the whole VM.  I don’t want to be forced through a dumbed-down webmin or cPanel type interface.  It might be nice to have something like webmin or cPanel as an optional extra, but I wouldn’t want that to be my only choice.

That central system would be something I could push content to, from machines in my house.  But I wouldn’t want any direct connection the other way.