[SATLUG] Ideal 11" - 13" note book for Linux

Daniel Villarreal youcanlinux at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 14:51:02 CST 2015

On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Glenn Boswell <gboswellsac at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> ... I have in a intro OS class at SAC ... Windows 7 laptops ... VMPlayer
> ... Win7 and Fedora 32 bit virtuals...
> ... waiting on Windows 7 [and 8.1 and 10 ] to close and start doing the
> "updates" ... SAC CIS is a VMware academy... I would like to hear from some
> of the purists on notebooks that are not a chore to set up and work well
> with Linux (distro that works well on it).
>

> ... I would like to show them a Linux solution as many of them are like me
> are tired of the Windows updates every time you need to shutdown or start
> up quickly ... I'd like to get back using Linux full time....

 ThanksGlenn Boswell    Freedom is not Free, let us not Forget!

Boz!
Good to see you and Steve online! Hope I can help out some...

You might mitigate slow boots by repartitioning the drives on the laptops
so that you have just the OS on the main partition; that and check with the
company and see what kind of deal that can make for Glary utilities (
http://www.glarysoft.com/), or similar, and letting that to defragment the
registry, and do all the options for boot time defragmenting.

You could also check out the sysinternals' contig tool (A single-file
defragmenter)
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/contig

You could customize the hosts file based on
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm.

You might want to be careful in choosing your updates.

Have you or SAC looked at the following?
http://www.redhat.com/en/resources/red-hat-academy-hands-curriculum-academic-programs

Maybe they can give you more information/tips/suggestions? Doesn't hurt to
ask!

have a great day!
Daniel Villarreal
http://www.youcanlinux.org/