[SATLUG] OT: Prep for safe equipment disposal

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Oct 27 15:49:40 CDT 2015

On Oct 27, 2015, at 3:27 PM, Daniel Villarreal <youcanlinux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the info, Brad!
>
> I've never owned an SSD had drive. I use really old hardware myself. I even have some old EIDE drives in use ;-)

All iPhones and iPads use SSD, as do all current MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs.  I’m not sure about the baseline MacBook, but I think it does, too.

All ChromeBooks that I know of also use SSDs, a.k.a., “Flash Memory” for their permanent storage.  It may only be 2-4GB, but it’s still Flash, and SSD.

More and more vendors are going all-SSD, or using large amounts of SSD as fast cache for their large but slow hard drives.

> I'm considering using the LinkedIn service, I started using GooglePlus, but I want to get more into social media.

Pretty much all the major cloud services are either 100% SSD now, or going that direction really fast.  Amazon AWS Glacier might not have any SSD, but I think that might be it.