[SATLUG] OT: Prep for safe equipment disposal

Travis England england.travis at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 16:11:49 CDT 2015

Really, if you're concerned with making the data inaccessible, and don't
care if the drives are useable afterwards, do what others have suggested
and physically destroy the drive. In the military, we beat the crap out of
them with a heavy hammer. The broken parts are then burned. No spooks are
able to recover the info that way.

Another thing you may want to do, if you don't already, is use full drive
encryption when you install your OS. The performance impact is negligible
on most machines these days, and it adds to the security of your data.

Best Regards,
Travis