[SATLUG] Freezing Mint

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 20:34:44 CDT 2016

Steve Litt wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 00:23:54 -0500
> Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You are right about UEFI.  It is a PITA.  I turn it off.
>
> How?
>
> Most of the new computers I've seen the past couple years have no off
> switch for UEFI.

Well I bought a new Toshiba laptop about 2 years ago, an Asus based
development system about a year ago and a Gigabyte based workstation in
January.  They all had options in the firmware (i.e. bios) that allowed
turning uefi/secure boot off.  I admit that you have to search a little on
some systems.

In one case, I had to delete the FAT uefi partition on the drive before
the firmware would really acknowledge I didn't want uefi.

That's not to say that some systems do not have such a switch, but I bet
most of the well known brands, gigabyte, asus, del, etc, do have the
capability.

   -- Bruce