[SATLUG] Thinking of upgrading network

Stephen Eaton stephen.l.eaton at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 00:45:11 CDT 2016

Very cool. I just realized 450mbps was for 2.4GHz only. The UAP-AC-LR and
the UAP-AC-PRO both operate at 867 and 1300 mbps respectively at 5Ghz as
well. So they are definitely competitive with consumer speeds. The
EdgeRouter POE is nice. Basically the same guts as the ERL-3, but with more
ports. I really like that USG and APs can both be managed from UniFi
Controller software, but software and SSH are the only ways to manage it as
opposed to the EdgeRouters with onboard GUIs. Choices!

EdgeRouter PoE, $125 (lowest) - 1 WAN plus 4 LAN
EdgeRouter Lite, $75 (lowest) - 1 WAN plus 2 LAN
UniFi Security Gateway, $120 (lowest) - Same specs as EdgeRouter Lite but
managed from controller software
UAP-AC-Lite, $90 - 1167 Mbps, POE or POE injector (24V)
UAP-AC-Pro, $145 - 1750 Mbps, POE injector only (48V)

Cost/performance is fairly linear across the range. The UAP-AC-Lite does
867Mbps in 5Ghz, and I don't have an adapter that surpasses that. With
routing, two ports is enough for daily use and a switch can be added later
if needed. So for me I guess it's "lite" across the board at $165. I might
still look at the ER-POE though... more ports!