[SATLUG] diskless ramdisk booting

Mark Mayfield mayfield_mark at gvtc.com
Thu Jul 21 11:29:16 CDT 2016

Depending on how you want to do it there are some kernel compile options
you need to set.

NFS capability in the kernel, NFSRoot, dhcp in the kernel and make sure
you get your network card drivers in the kernel also.

Pretty much all these will not be enabled by default in the kernel
config. If you do everything right you don't even need a ramdisk. You
can do some of this in the ramdisk but I had better luck just doing it
in the kernel. The biggest problem I faced was making sure your network
drivers are in the kernel or ramdisk. If you know you will be using one
type of nic card it isn't a big problem but if you will use different
machines it is more problematic. I've used ramdisk creation options in
both fedora (dracut) and debian (mkinitrd I think) that tell the system
to put all (or at least nearly all) modules in the ramdisk. Also you
have set up your fstab right and if your using a ramdisk make sure the
fstab configured for netboot makes it in the ramdisk. Hope the info
helps, I haven't messed with it in a while but I worked with net boot
systems quite a bit a few years back. At A&M I had a pxe server with a
bunch of distro's it, and a custom boot CD for machines outside of the
dhcp scope that could still hit the NFS servers.