[SATLUG] diskless ramdisk booting

Craig sargonemail at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 11:00:20 CDT 2016

> But we so far have been unable to build a proper kernel or ramdisk that
> gets past the mounting point where the root ramdisk file system gets
> mounted and cannot figure out where we are going wrong. Any help would
> be appreciated. We tried to follow this guide to the T:
>> http://eduardo-lago.blogspot.com/2012/06/ram-only-pxe-boot-smallest-diskless.html <http://eduardo-lago.blogspot.com/2012/06/ram-only-pxe-boot-smallest-diskless.html>
>
> and searched the internet for all kinds of other documentation on the topic.
> But we must be missing something essential, like our init is not getting
> executed or the kernel cannot find the root file system.

Kinda sounds like an issue related to switching from initial boot
program area to final OS run area (e.g. root
file system area for "nic card" & switch to root file system area for
"RAMdisk" once everything has been setup in ram)
Since there are several ways under linux to do the swtich, might want
to look in the boot scripts
for commands/programs discussed in
http://tiebing.blogspot.com/2014/02/linux-switchroot-vs-pivotroot-vs-chroot.html

Craig