[SATLUG] diskless ramdisk booting

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 13:39:22 CDT 2016

Borries Demeler wrote:

> We managed to boot from nfsroot, but we really need a RAM disk for /var and /etc
> for each node to be different.

I've never heard of /etc being different for each node.  For that you need
a different root partition for each node or some very fancy changes in the
initramfs.

> Yes, you are correct, the init switching is what we have not yet figured out :-)

So you got the root partition mounted?  Switching to the system from
initramfs is done by the switch_root program from the util-linux package:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/

   -- Bruce