[SATLUG] diskless ramdisk booting

Mark Mayfield mayfield_mark at gvtc.com
Wed Jul 27 22:42:36 CDT 2016

On 07/27/2016 04:02 PM, Craig wrote:
> Methods for creating a mount point for /var and /tmp in RAM :
> http://www.satlug.org/pipermail/satlug/2012-July/066579.html
>
> Craig
I've used tmpfs for /var and /tmp, as Bruce said having a different /etc
for different workstations is not very feasible. It also shouldn't
usually be necessary. The machines all having the same hostname could be
a problem, but you can set static hosts in dhcp by mac address so they
all get different host names.

Even cramming /etc in a ramdisk, all hosts still get the same /etc.
Unless you give each host a different ram disk based off mac address.