[SATLUG] Freezing Mint

Jennie Haywood jehaywood at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 00:47:32 CDT 2016

This is one of the problems with Linux... the kernel is not instrumented.
If this were AIX, I'd tell you force  dump OR  set the machine up to go
into the kernel debugger.   Either way, we'd be looking at what  threads
are running and who has the most time.  So the suggestion of top isn't a
bad one but you just don't know when you'll get the output from the
command.  Could be a getty going nuts or something else respawning to
quickly or any number of other things.... have you tried bringing the
machine into single user mode and see if it has the same problem?

or slowly commenting things out in the inittab to see if it's something
obvious in there?

Jennie

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 11:19 PM, Alan Lesmerises <alesmerises at satx.rr.com>
wrote:

> Has anyone had problems with Mint freezing-up (or at least being
> excruciatingly slow)?
>
> I had to upgrade (?) my wife's computer to Mint 17.3, and now it freezes
> up and/or slows down so much it seems like it's frozen. Sometimes the mouse
> moves, but nothing else seems to happen. Following some suggestions I found
> on the 'net, I tried changing the video driver, changing some boot options
> (e.g., nouveau.accel=1), etc., but none of these helped.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Al Lesmerises

Jennie Haywood
----
Everyone is crazy. It's just a matter of degree.
--
The oak tree in your backyard is just a nut that held its ground.