[SATLUG] weirdness

alesmerises at satx.rr.com alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Thu Oct 20 18:21:08 CDT 2016

Reading this thread made me wonder if there was an equivalent to memtest86 but for video memory.  Results of a quick Google search suggest that a video stress test would probably reveal a faulty video card, and there was a couple of StackExchange threads talking about that specific topic.

Obviously I haven't tried it yet, but there's a bootable test program (similar to memtest86) that was recommended.  See this page for more info:

    superuser.com/questions/456435/how-can-i-test-my-gpu-memory-ram

I intend to try it out when I get a chance.

Al Lesmerises

---- Geoff <ars.w5omr at gmail.com> wrote:

=============

On 10/20/2016 12:01 AM, Nathan Templeton wrote:
> Hola Geoff,
>
>    Are you running Open_SuSE rawhide?

Linux 3.12.62-52-desktop openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64)

>    There are some pretty significant issues with video driver issues I
> have heard about in my irc talks with others running that current
> variant.

I don't know if 'Bottle' is in the same league with rawhide, but I think
I finally nailed it...

###!!! [Parent][MessageChannel] Error:
(msgtype=0x2C007A,name=PBrowser::Msg_Destroy) Channel error: cannot
send/recv [Parent 8707] WARNING: pipe error (358): Connection reset by
peer: file
/home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/mozilla/ipc/chromium/src/chrome/common/ipc_channel_posix.cc,
line 316 Vector smash protection is enabled. Failed to open VDPAU
backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory ExceptionHandler::GenerateDump cloned child 8934
ExceptionHandler::SendContinueSignalToChild sent continue signal to
child ExceptionHandler::WaitForContinueSignal waiting for continue
signal... [NPAPI 8888] ###!!! ABORT: Aborting on channel error.: file
/home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/mozilla/ipc/glue/MessageChannel.cpp, line
2052 nvidia. Video. I never installed any 'special driver' for this
on-mother-board video adapter. but, I'm thinking that since it worked
flawlessly for a couple of months, then all of a sudden developed
problems, either there's a hardware failure, or there's a glitch in the
latest software update. The above log snippet is from running :~ #
/usr/bin/firefox and watching for the errors when it crashed.

So... when I get home from work this evening, will delve into locating,,
downloading and installing the nvidia driver for this particular
graphics adapter. Failing that, I've got a 512meg video card around
here, somewhere, that could be installed above-board and pray -that-
solves the issues...

Thanks, Nate Regards, -Geoff