[SATLUG] Window's 7 Update

Don Wright wmail at dslextreme.com
Sun Dec 17 11:24:39 CST 2017

NATHAN OXHANDLER wrote:

>First, I AM USING MY LINUX COMPUTER FOR THIS MESSAGE. The last time I asked about a Window's problem most responses were to us Linux. I have and will use it for years.
>
>My Window's 7 computer is no longer allowing me to do Updates. Has anyone else run into this problem? If so how did you solve the problem?

Have seen this on a couple of client machines lately. Seems like something
in the [1]C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder gets damaged. This is a
critical location for WindowsUpdate, and surprise! Microsoft's tool to fix
WindowsUpdate problems doesn't fix it or even tell you it's broken.

If you crawl through the Microsoft forums long enough, you'll see references
to doing a bunch of increasingly dangerous things. Renaming the
SoftwareDistribution folder to SoftwareDistribution.old is one of the milder
items, and has worked both times I've encountered it in recent weeks.
  --Don

[1] or other system drive location, as appropriate.

--
"Reboot, Reinstall, Replace";
The three-R's of Microsoft Computer Literacy.