[SATLUG] Window's 7 Update

Don Wright wmail at dslextreme.com
Mon Dec 18 01:02:14 CST 2017

Joe wrote:

>https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/windows-7-update-solution/f39a65fa-9d10-42e7-9bc0-7f5096b36d0c
>
>Try manually installing the updates in the article.  Also, it may be
>helpful to stop some services before installing:
>
>net stop bits
>net stop wuauserv
>net stop appidsvc
>net stop cryptsvc

Right. I was running a bit late this morning and forgot to tell you about
stopping the WindowsUpdate service before renaming the folder.
- Run (Windows-R) services.msc and scroll to WindowsUpdate,
- Stop it (right click or menu),
- Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder as in previous message,
- and finally Start WindowsUpdate service again.

An elevated command prompt and net stop wuauserv as above will also do the
trick. Use net start wuauserv to restart the service.

Anyone complaining about insufficient Linux content can demonstrate doing
this with an emacs macro.