[SATLUG] RE: SATLUG Digest, Vol 166, Issue 2 ; have you tried using DISM for the update issue?

David Nazzaro NZKshatriya at outlook.com
Mon Dec 18 12:05:10 CST 2017


Have you tried either opening up an elevated command prompt, and using dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Or doing SFC /scannow in an elevated command prompt?


“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”      -Harlan Ellison 

-----Original Message-----
From: satlug-bounces at satlug.org [mailto:satlug-bounces at satlug.org] On Behalf Of satlug-request at satlug.org
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 12:00 PM
To: satlug at satlug.org
Subject: SATLUG Digest, Vol 166, Issue 2

Send SATLUG mailing list submissions to
	satlug at satlug.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://alamo.satlug.org/mailman/listinfo/satlug
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	satlug-request at satlug.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
	satlug-owner at satlug.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than "Re: Contents of SATLUG digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. Re: SATLUG Digest, Vol 166, Issue 1 (Mary Yatti)
   2. Re: Window's 7 Update (Don Wright)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 18:02:17 +0000 (UTC)
From: Mary Yatti <yatinhat at yahoo.com>
Subject: [SATLUG] Re: SATLUG Digest, Vol 166, Issue 1
To: "satlug at satlug.org" <satlug at satlug.org>
Message-ID: <377060904.130142.1513533737452 at mail.yahoo.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

I hate Windows10 and Word 2016.  I get them free from work.  I miss linux and open office 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android 
 
  On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 12:00 PM, satlug-request at satlug.org<satlug-request at satlug.org> wrote:   Send SATLUG mailing list submissions to
    satlug at satlug.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
    http://alamo.satlug.org/mailman/listinfo/satlug
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
    satlug-request at satlug.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
    satlug-owner at satlug.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than "Re: Contents of SATLUG digest..."
Today's Topics:

  1. Window's 7 Update (NATHAN OXHANDLER)
  2. Re: Window's 7 Update (Don Wright)
  3. Linux Update (Don Wright)
  4. Re: Window's 7 Update (Joe)
First, I AM USING MY LINUX COMPUTER FOR THIS MESSAGE. The last time I asked about a Window's problem most responses were to us Linux. I have and will use it for years. 

My Window's 7 computer is no longer allowing me to do Updates. Has anyone else run into this problem? If so how did you solve the problem? 

Nathan 


NATHAN OXHANDLER wrote:

>First, I AM USING MY LINUX COMPUTER FOR THIS MESSAGE. The last time I asked about a Window's problem most responses were to us Linux. I have and will use it for years. 
>
>My Window's 7 computer is no longer allowing me to do Updates. Has anyone else run into this problem? If so how did you solve the problem? 

Have seen this on a couple of client machines lately. Seems like something in the [1]C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder gets damaged. This is a critical location for WindowsUpdate, and surprise! Microsoft's tool to fix WindowsUpdate problems doesn't fix it or even tell you it's broken. 

If you crawl through the Microsoft forums long enough, you'll see references to doing a bunch of increasingly dangerous things. Renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder to SoftwareDistribution.old is one of the milder items, and has worked both times I've encountered it in recent weeks.
  --Don


[1] or other system drive location, as appropriate.

--
"Reboot, Reinstall, Replace";
The three-R's of Microsoft Computer Literacy.


While we're speaking of updates, I just updated from [1]Devuan Jessie to Devuan Ascii (the names are from minor planets, not toys) and was stunned that there were speed increases to be found in the old Linux system. It boots faster, it fetches updates much faster... I'm a bit scared to try Frozen Bubble.

Didn't Redmond teach us that newer software had to run slower on older hardware?

[1] www.devuan.org

--
Puns happen because bad people exploit security flaws in language.
  --Howard Tayler


https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/windows-7-update-solution/f39a65fa-9d10-42e7-9bc0-7f5096b36d0c

Try manually installing the updates in the article.  Also, it may be
helpful to stop some services before installing:

net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc

Hope that helps!  Good luck.

On Dec 17, 2017 11:25 AM, "Don Wright" <wmail at dslextreme.com> wrote:

> NATHAN OXHANDLER wrote:
>
> >First, I AM USING MY LINUX COMPUTER FOR THIS MESSAGE. The last time I
> asked about a Window's problem most responses were to us Linux. I have and
> will use it for years.
> >
> >My Window's 7 computer is no longer allowing me to do Updates. Has anyone
> else run into this problem? If so how did you solve the problem?
>
> Have seen this on a couple of client machines lately. Seems like something
> in the [1]C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder gets damaged. This is a
> critical location for WindowsUpdate, and surprise! Microsoft's tool to fix
> WindowsUpdate problems doesn't fix it or even tell you it's broken.
>
> If you crawl through the Microsoft forums long enough, you'll see
> references
> to doing a bunch of increasingly dangerous things. Renaming the
> SoftwareDistribution folder to SoftwareDistribution.old is one of the
> milder
> items, and has worked both times I've encountered it in recent weeks.
>  --Don
>
>
> [1] or other system drive location, as appropriate.
>
> --
> "Reboot, Reinstall, Replace";
> The three-R's of Microsoft Computer Literacy.
>
> --
> _______________________________________________
> SATLUG mailing list
> SATLUG at satlug.org
> http://alamo.satlug.org/mailman/listinfo/satlug to manage/unsubscribe
> Powered by Rackspace (www.rackspace.com)
>


_______________________________________________
SATLUG mailing list
SATLUG at satlug.org
http://alamo.satlug.org/mailman/listinfo/satlug
Powered by Rackspace (http://rackspace.com)  


------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 01:02:14 -0600
From: Don Wright <wmail at dslextreme.com>
Subject: Re: [SATLUG] Window's 7 Update
To: The San Antonio Linux User's Group Mailing List
	<satlug at satlug.org>
Message-ID: <e0pe3dh4s2uj7684napsq2itlgujculkqo at 4ax.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Joe wrote:

>https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/windows-7-update-solution/f39a65fa-9d10-42e7-9bc0-7f5096b36d0c
>
>Try manually installing the updates in the article.  Also, it may be
>helpful to stop some services before installing:
>
>net stop bits
>net stop wuauserv
>net stop appidsvc
>net stop cryptsvc

Right. I was running a bit late this morning and forgot to tell you about
stopping the WindowsUpdate service before renaming the folder. 
- Run (Windows-R) services.msc and scroll to WindowsUpdate,
- Stop it (right click or menu),
- Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder as in previous message,
- and finally Start WindowsUpdate service again.

An elevated command prompt and net stop wuauserv as above will also do the
trick. Use net start wuauserv to restart the service.

Anyone complaining about insufficient Linux content can demonstrate doing
this with an emacs macro.

-- 
Be well - or at least have interesting symptoms!



------------------------------

_______________________________________________
SATLUG mailing list
SATLUG at satlug.org
http://alamo.satlug.org/mailman/listinfo/satlug
Powered by Rackspace (http://rackspace.com)

End of SATLUG Digest, Vol 166, Issue 2
**************************************


More information about the SATLUG mailing list